Friday, December 16, 2011

CA 19-9

It's numb now, so I can write. My heart is numb. I was so sure that everything was going to be fine. I was so sure that I heard God say that. Now I wonder if I ever really heard Him at all. I wonder what I've done. I suppose I'm wondering if anything is what I thought it was. I feel like I'm swimming in the ocean and I just keep fighting the waves. I can't fight my Daddy's cancer anymore than I could fight the ocean.

My mom called me right after they left the doctor's office. That must have been horrible for her. I wish it was one of those memories that was a half-forgotten blur, but there's nothing blurry about it. I realized immediately that my best friend, sitting next to me, had already met CA 19-9. Before her Daddy died. Today, when I thought about it, I felt like God had an alterior motive. Someday I know I'll have to ask for forgiveness for the things I'm thinking. But she was such a good thing- she IS a good thing-and I know God sent her because He knew He was going to take my Daddy away. So now all I can think is that everything good and precious in my life is here because of some inevitable, unsurvivable pain I am going to face.

My Daddy is so healthy. He almost died when he was 40-years-old, but he suvived bypass after bypass, stint after stint. He worked so hard to stay here for us. We all knew that someday, though, his heart would kill him. This wasn't part of the plan. This isn't how it's supposed to be. Even as I write that I know it's so cliche. Who ever dies the way they're "supposed" to?

Daddy's always been so fun. That's what the girls love most about him. He's young, and he's young at heart. People look at pictures of him and they can't believe he's old enough to be my Daddy. How can God ask me to watch that disappear?? I know I'm riddled with sin, but how can God ask this of me? Why does He ask this of me? How do I tell my sweet babies that the world, their safe, happy world; can be so evil? How do I continue to be a mother when all I want to be is a daughter?

I want to pray. I want to laugh. I want to breathe. Right now all I can do is hate. I know it's a selfish, terrible thing. I know it could be worse. I thank God for my babies and all I can do is beg him with what's left of my soul to keep the rest of my family safe. But I think I'm filled with hate. I hate cancer. I hate chemotherapy. I hate the doctor. I hate the word's "How are you," and "are you okay?" I hate other's happiness. You should hate me for saying that. It's disgusting, but I can't stop it. I hate the red lines on the hospital floor leading the way to what felt like a death chamber. I hate the orange plastic chairs in the hospital room that beg you not to sit in them. I hate how my burning eyes keep reminding me that there are more tears coming. I hate the navy blue scrubs the nurses were wearing when they handed me one-ply kleenex and asked me if "needed anything." I hate the doctor who tapped my hand like I had a disease and said, "It's going to be okay." I hate the voice in that elevator that said, "Going up!" like it was happy that the bottom just fell out of my world. I hate people sitting there staring at me and not knowing what to say. I hate watching people who couldn't hold a candle to my Daddy walking out of the hospital without a port in their chest. I hate thinking about the future. I hate thinking about the present.  I hate feeling like I can't stop crying. I hate feeling like I have to stop crying so that the people around me won't feel awkward. I hate thinking about his pain.

I would ask God again to save him. To do SOMETHING. But I can't. I hear the words in my ears, but they just don't go anywhere. I've got nothing left.

Dear Daddy,
Remember when I was in middle school and I cut my hair short and you said you wouldn't be able to grab my ponytail anymore? That made me so sad. I never wanted to cut my hair again. And do you remember that time I slapped that boy in high school and you were actually kind of proud of me? I wish I could slap your pancreas. I love you.

3 comments:

  1. If God sent me to you for this purpose, and if my pain can help ease your pain in any way, I will gladly bear it double. I will--as much as you let me--be with you through this. There is NOTHING you can say that is going to hurt me right now, and I hope you can hold onto the trust in our friendship that that is true.

    There is NOTHING you will say that will make me think less of you. In your words above, I hear all the same thoughts echoing back from years ago. I understand them. And as mad as you are at God right now, I bet he understands them, too. Even Christ plead for mercy from the crucifixion.

    I know my reminders that you are 'going to get through this' and "you're stronger than you think" probably sound hollow and trite, but I know in my heart they are true. You are so much more than "this" to me. I have to believe God brought us together for more, but if I am here to serve His purpose, I pray I do my best for you. I love you, my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Two years." Her words hit like a sledge hammer. In a week full of one rotten bit of news after another, this was the worst. "You COULD live two years."

    What the hell does SHE know?

    I'm weak, then I'm strong. I'm sad, then I'm able to - momentarily - think about something OTHER than this damned cancer to which I've suddenly been sentenced. I'm trying to swim to the surface with all these chains around me.

    "GOD! Just give me ONE chance!!!!!" I'll fight this - I SWEAR I'll fight this. Just give me a sliver of hope; SOMETHING positive from one of these dispassionate doctors to hold on to.

    Everywhere I look there is love - and bitter sadness. My girls are crying, my sisters are crying, even my strong son is crying. God knows I'm crying. What I wouldn't give for an hour of amnesia....

    My faith is strong, I know I'm saved. I know I'll be seeing Jesus. My tears are for the seeming unfairness of it, the suddenness of it, the bitterness of it.

    My former life, how long ago was it...two weeks? - spins around me just out of reach. It's guarded by an impassable fence. I don't think I can ever have it again.

    I don't want to be "that guy with cancer." Pathetic, weak, pale... That's never been me. I want to be home with my beloved; I want to be near my girl and HER girls and John; I want to see my son and his family move closer to home. I don't EVER remember asking for chemo and pain and fatigue. God, the relentless fatigue...

    Then I think about my precious ones my beautiful, wonderful bride of almost 35 years; my strong, brilliant, beautiful children; and my little ones, my grandchildren...not to mention my family which has already rallied to me and lifted me...I'm ready to fight this damned disease.

    Two years? BET me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For I will restore you to health And I will heal you of your wounds,' declares the LORD," Jeremiah 30:17

    I clung to this verse early this year when my own Father was diagnosed with Stage 2 lung cancer. God heard my hearts cry and the cry of those who prayed with us. God made a way for us and I know He can do the same for you.

    Love to your family Angela. Mrradio897, you will be in my prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete