Sunday, February 26, 2012

Not Superman, but...

by Dave

Most of you who have been following our blog know that last Thursday I had an unexpected setback in this battle.  A blood clot developed behind my right knee (common for cancer patients, I learned) and threatened my life. 

I was directed to go immediately to the hospital where I spent the last 4 days.  I learned much in four "short" days:

- that I'm not "Superman" in this fight with cancer.  Things CAN go sideways (and likely WILL from time to time).

- to appreciate - even more - how well things have been going.

- that my family is beyond comparison (OK...I knew that already).

- that my wonderful friends will never let me fall.

- that my years investing myself in my students on a personal level has paid off and continues to pay off.

- that my colleagues, my co-workers, have a depth of compassion and love for me that I truly wish EVERYONE had at work.

My little girl is a MASTER organizer, and one of the events she enjoys organizing most is a surprise party.  She had a wonderful Chicago-themed party planned for me this weekend, and she had the best co-conspirator possible, our Departmental Office Manager, Michelle.  The only problem was, I had been rushed to the hospital two days before.  Somehow, she got a hold of all the attendees...many from out of town (including a former student who came all the way from Minnesota) and informed them that the party had been moved - to the hospital.

There were probably 70 people waiting for me as the head nurse of Union Hospital wheeled me - in full hospital garb - into the party.

I had never been so surprised in my life.  Family, church friends, work colleagues, current and former students PACKED the room.  How I didn't cry, I'll never know.

It was the most humbling event of my life, and obviously a huge blessing.  I made sure to greet every single person there, despite some physical discomfort.  How could I NOT? 

There were countless cards, and one VERY special gift...the gift of a lifetime, in fact.  My friends at work got together and bought two tickets to the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Concert in Chicago!!  There was never a more perfect gift given at a more perfect time.  I was and still am at a loss for words at their generosity.  It's something I will remember forever.

Finally, I learned that the most important weapon anyone can have in a battle with cancer is a rock-solid certainty that they are not alone in their fight.  After last night, I KNOW I'm never alone, and I'm so very, very thankful - and STRONG.


.......................................

Dear Mouse,

You absolutely amaze me.  What did I ever do to deserve a daughter as wonderful as you?

Love, Daddy



No comments:

Post a Comment